REPORTING > Import/Export Permit Applications and Declarations > Medical Missions
Export Waiver for International Humanitarian/Veterinarian Charitable Assistance
The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Diversion Control Division, has established this link for DEA-registered practitioners* requesting a waiver of applicable federal requirements in order to legally export controlled substances from the U.S. for use in treatment procedures involving an international humanitarian or veterinarian charitable mission.
Please complete the checklist below and send it via e-mail to Medical.Mission@usdoj.gov or via facsimile at 202-307-4702. The approval of a waiver request is handled on a case-by-case basis.
To ensure your request is processed correctly, please send the required information from the checklist below at least 30 days before your scheduled U.S. departure date. Do not submit a request until you possess all the controlled substances and products containing list I chemicals.
Note: This waiver only applies to the exportation of controlled substances or products containing list I chemicals from the United States. It has no force or effect in any foreign country. You are required to obtain import authorization from the Competent National Authority of the country of destination prior to entering that country.
*This waiver is available only to practitioners who are registered with DEA as: M.D., D.O., D.D.S, D.M.D. or D.V.M.
Medical Mission Waiver Letter Checklist
Note: Please DO NOT request a medical mission waiver letter until you actually possess the controlled substances
and products containing List I chemicals.
- Registrant Name(s) – M.D., D.O., D.D.S., D.M.D. and D.V.Ms only
- Registrant Address – must match address on DEA Registration Certificate
- DEA Registration Number
- State License Number
- Controlled Substance Number (optional)
- Contact Information:
- Office Phone Number
- Home Phone Number
- Mobile Phone Number
- E-mail Address
- Fax number
- Sponsor's Name/Agency/Organization Information:
- Website Address
- Point of Contact Name
- E-mail Address
- Phone Number
- Copy of the import authorization from the Competent National Authority of the country of destination.
- Copy of travel itinerary listing:
- Departure Date and Time
- Arrival Date and Time
- Airline Name(s)
- Airport Name(s) and Location(s)
- Complete list of controlled substances and List I chemicals to be transported including:
- Drug Name
- Drug Trade/Product Name
- Package Type and Size
- Total Quantity
|Ketamine||1ml @ 10mg/ml||Vial||40|
- Practitioner's certification stating that the controlled substances and products containing List I chemicals have been procured, are in his/her possession, and the exact quantities will be transported by him/her on the medical mission.
Example: I certify that the above controlled substances and products containing List I chemicals have been procured, are in my possession, and that I will transport them on this medical mission.
- Copy of the completed DEA Official Order Form (DEA Form 222) for Schedule I and II Controlled Substances (if applicable); copy of invoice for Schedules III-V Controlled Substances.
DEA Form 222 for Schedule I and II Controlled Substances may be ordered by:
- Using the following link: https://apps.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/webforms/orderFormsRequest.jsp
- Calling the DEA Headquarters Registration Unit toll free at 1-800-882-9539
- Contacting the nearest DEA Registration Field Office