Diversion Control Division, US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration

RESOURCES > Questions & Answers  >  Pseudoephedrine Q&A

Pseudoephedrine Q&A


Question: I am visiting the United States from another country and need to purchase an over-the-counter allergy medicine that contains pseudoephedrine or ephedrine. Can I use my foreign passport or driver's license as my official Government identification as I do not have an identification card that is issued by a State or the Federal government or a document considered acceptable under 8 CFR 274a.2(b)(1)(v)(A) and (B)?

Answer: The Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act (CMEA) does not permit individuals to use a foreign passport or driver's license to purchase an over-the-counter medicine that contains pseudoephedrine or ephedrine. See 21 U.S.C. 830(e)(1)(A)(iv)(I)(aa); 8 CFR 274a.2(b)(1)(v)(A) and (B). The CMEA, however, does permit an individual, including a foreign visitor, to purchase a single sales package containing no more than 60 milligrams of pseudoephedrine without presenting an identification card or signing the logbook. See 21 U.S.C. 830(e)(1)(A)(iii). EO-DEA104, July 24, 2020

Emergency Disaster Relief
National Prescription Drug Take Back Day. Turn in your unused or expired medication for safe disposal here.
RX Abuse Online

Diversion Control Division  •  8701 Morrissette Drive  •  Springfield, VA 22152  •  1-800-882-9539

DOJ Legal Policies and Disclaimers    |    DOJ Privacy Policy    |    FOIA    |    Section 508 Accessibility