Code of Federal Regulations
DISPOSAL OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES
Section 1307.21 Procedure for disposing of controlled substances.
(a) Any person in possession of any controlled substance and desiring or required to dispose of such substance may request assistance from the Special Agent in Charge of the Administration in the area in which the person is located for authority and instructions to dispose of such substance. The request should be made as follows:
(1) If the person is a registrant, he/she shall list the controlled substance or substances which he/she desires to dispose of on DEA Form 41, and submit three copies of that form to the Special Agent in Charge in his/her area; or
(2) If the person is not a registrant, he/she shall submit to the Special Agent in Charge a letter stating:
(i) The name and address of the person;
(ii) The name and quantity of each controlled substance to be disposed of;
(iii) How the applicant obtained the substance, if known; and
(iv) The name, address, and registration number, if known, of the person who possessed the controlled substances prior to the applicant, if known.
(b) The Special Agent in Charge shall authorize and instruct the applicant to dispose of the controlled substance in one of the following manners:
(1) By transfer to person registered under the Act and authorized to possess the substance;
(2) By delivery to an agent of the Administration or to the nearest office of the Administration;
(3) By destruction in the presence of an agent of the Administration or other authorized person; or
(4) By such other means as the Special Agent in Charge may determine to assure that the substance does not become available to unauthorized persons.
(c) In the event that a registrant is required regularly to dispose of controlled substances, the Special Agent in Charge may authorize the registrant to dispose of such substances, in accordance with paragraph (b) of this section, without prior approval of the Administration in each instance, on the condition that the registrant keep records of such disposals and file periodic reports with the Special Agent in Charge summarizing the disposals made by the registrant. In granting such authority, the Special Agent in Charge may place such conditions as he deems proper on the disposal of controlled substances, including the method of disposal and the frequency and detail of reports.
(d) This section shall not be construed as affecting or altering in any way the disposal of controlled substances through procedures provided in laws and regulations adopted by any State.
[36 FR 7801, Apr. 24, 1971, as amended at 37 FR 15922, Aug. 8, 1972. Redesignated at 38 FR 26609, Sept. 24, 1973, and amended at 47 FR 41735, Sept. 22, 1982; 62 FR 13967, Mar. 24, 1997]
NOTICE: This is an unofficial version. An official version of this publication may be obtained
directly from the Government Printing Office (GPO).